Natural gas does not have an odor! To be able to detect leaks, the utility company adds an unpleasant or foul odorant like rotten eggs to natural gas. Your being able to detect a natural gas leak is important because escaping or leaking gas may ignite if it comes in contact with a flame or spark, and it can displace oxygen, which is potentially fatal. In order to keep your family or fellow coworkers safe there are a few safety procedures you may want to follow:
- Avoid doing anything that may create a spark or produce static such as touching any electrical switches or telephones.
- Make sure all your gas appliances like your close dryer, water heater furnace or stove are operating properly and inspected annually.
- Clean the debris which may be near gas appliances. Clothes, trash, paper, rags, etc.
- If you smell gas, leave the building immediately and call your utility company from another location
Be Safe & Live Long!
Leave a Reply